Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Shoes off vs. clean floors for open houses and broker tours

Have you ever been to an open house where you were required to take off your shoes before entering? This is becoming more and more common. As a realtor, we do not think twice about having to take our shoes off to tour a home. At least I didn't - until 6 weeks ago that is when slipped and broke my foot and four toes on some slippery tile stairs while previewing a home in San Carlos on broker tour! I couldn't believe it happened. Who would have thought than being a realtor could be so dangerous?!
Here I am now, 6 weeks into a 12 week recovery. It has not been fun.
We have always had our clients sign a release for a "no shoes" policy just in case, but it doesn't feel like such a remote possibility now. Yes, your floors will be clean, but what if someone accidently falls? is it really worth it? If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. I had never broken anything before. This was a first.
I am not sue happy and did not go after the homeowner, but that won't be the case for everyone.
Bottom-line, think twice before making people take off their shoes.
Kelly Clarke, San Carlos Realtor
The Clarke Team
650-489-5399
sold@clarketeam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment