Friday, May 9, 2014

10 Great Outdoor Chill Zones

Whether you have a huge poolside deck or a sliver of a patio, these ideas will kick stress to the curb all summer long

Houzz Contributor. I cover topics ranging from decorating ideas, product... More 
 
 
In the warm months, there’s nothing better than coming home and immediately kicking off your shoes, grabbing an ice-cold drink and heading right outside. Sitting outdoors in the fresh air is a great way to loosen up, unwind and let go. Summer may still seem far off, but now is actually a great time to begin planning ways to make your outdoor space more comfortable — see if one of these 10 ideas will work for your porch, patio or yard.
lasa
I am really curious. Does anyone who actually lives in a area with normal precipitation and actually uses their outdoor space furnish them with upholstered pieces. Upholstered pieces take much longer to dry. I can't think of anything that's more of a turn off than sitting on what looks like a dry cushion and find that its still wet inside. The alternative of course is to haul those giant cushions or mattresses into the house or into a storage container every time you go out, and that's not very appealing either.
A lot of these Pictures are perfect if you are planning a special occasion. They are also good if you have an enclosed porch.... Which is not the same a being outdoors.
April 6, 2014 at 2:41pm     
cheraflu
We keep cushions on a bench style box near the furniture
April 6, 2014 at 3:07pm     
lasa
Cheraflu so do we they are smaller. Definitely not the size of a daybed.
April 6, 2014 at 4:16pm     
Janet Broaddus
cheraflu and lasa.... We're in need of a bench like storage, as well. Where did you find yours.. A pool supply store?
April 6, 2014 at 5:08pm     
murpet
We got waterproof covers for our upholstered outdoor furniture. Bit of a nuisance to use, but so much easier than lugging and storing the cushions! Got the covers at a store that sells BBQs, sun umbrellas , etc. Costco had a really nice-looking large storage bin for outdoor cushions last week...
April 6, 2014 at 6:30pm     
lasa
Murpet do they really work ?
Janet Murpet is hit about costco
April 6, 2014 at 7:03pm     
Natasha Assa
Oh my! Those cushions run the water off in a matter of seconds and nothing gets absorbed! There is absolutely no problem leaving them outside under the rain. I guess you really don't shop much in home goods stores, if you think these are upholstered cushions. Technology has gone a very long way since.
April 6, 2014 at 7:11pm     
KaiKat de la Cruz
Where I live, our weather has only 2 modes: rain or shine. So if it does rain, drying outdoor cushions is easily done by setting them on on on side in full sun. If it's rainy season, then they get stored away of course. We also have a bench storage in the shaded part of our backyard but it is handmade.

Outdoor upholstery is usually made of materials that are either waterproof or water resistant like acrylic or sunbrella so should withstand some rain and can be easily dried on their side (not flat). Some people use waterproofing spray directly on cushions but it has to be reapplied maybe once or twice a year.
April 6, 2014 at 8:34pm     
PRO
Susan Cohan, APLD
There is a special 'outdoor' foam for cushions that has bigger air pockets and allows it to dry faster than regular 'indoor' foam. Use this, set your cushions on their sides after a rain in the sun and you'll get a ton of use from them. Often, we design storage areas into patios and decks that allow those who wish to, to store their cushions in a dry place. Either way, don't let the rain keep you from comfortable outdoor seating and enjoying a furnished outdoor room.
April 7, 2014 at 2:09am     
PRO
Stephanie Cooper | REALTOR®, ASP®
We have fitted covers that go over all of our outdoor items - from the extra large dining set, to the settee and chairs. They don't take long to toss over the furniture and fit snugly with attached straps and D-rings (so they don't fly away), and are worth the effort when you see it cloud over, which it regularly does year round here in the South. I have to admit I do get lazy sometimes, but my Sunbrella dining chair cushions (seat and backs) have survived many a torrential downpour over the years (yeah, and even some snow), drying beautifully in the sun with no mold or mildew inside the cushions. They've also perfectly kept their color. I can say with confidence that Sunbrella fabric is worth its cost.

If you can afford to invest in upholstered furniture for your outdoor space, it's worth it to add in fitted covers for those pieces to make sure you get many seasons of enjoyment out of them.
April 7, 2014 at 6:35am     
jdforney
We live in New England, where we can get rain anytime. Our outdoor lounge furniture is metal framed with removable sunbrella cushions. Every night, I put waterproof covers on the sofa & chair (piling the other pillows onto them). I love to sip my morning coffee on the deck, but only on a dry seat! I just store the covers under the sofa & chair. They fold up easily. Sadly, I need to get new covers after only 2 years. Some $%&%*(* animal ripped holes in the ones at the end of last year & they weren't repairable. Dangit.
April 7, 2014 at 7:08am     
PRO
Specialty Air Inc.
Very nice patio furniture as well as patio space. I liked each of the images very much. But with the summer months approaching fast it would be quite difficult to sit in the outdoors for long. I, therefore, prefer putting on the air conditioner and sitting in the comfort of my home or office.
April 7, 2014 at 10:55am     
murpet
Are you for real, air conditioner guy? Try lying in a lovely breezy shady spot under a beautifull big tree,on an upholstered lounger, sipping a nice drink, listening to the birds....heaven!
April 7, 2014 at 7:20pm     
moodyoic2
Outdoor relaxation
April 7, 2014 at 7:41pm     
calkelley
It matters where you live. The wrought iron chairs I splurged on looked great in CA for 10 years +, but the humidity in FL is requiring more upkeep (coated the feet with clear poly coat to prevent those rusted, orange spots). Cushions lasted years - it certainly isn't raining now in sunny CA!
So we moved to a place where it's beautiful in the mornings, incredible downpours in the afternoons and gorgeous cool evenings. Putting cushions away or covering chairs would make me feel like a yoyo.
Luckily the previous owner (more likely the movers) forgot her great patio set on the dock.

These chairs can be found under 'sling' chairs, are quite comfortable without added cushions, have lasted for 3 years of FL rains and humidity and are still beautiful. Target, Kmart, as well as more upscale places have them.
April 8, 2014 at 10:31pm     
calkelley
btw, Laura, the pic with the vintage shutters is fast becoming one of my Houzz favorites. Clever and beautiful!

I would like to do a bed swing, esp as there's so many nights to sleep outside here (haha, in the screened patio!).
Anyone have any idea on what sort of bedding would work in FL's high humidity? I could situate it out of the rain, but never out of the humidity.
Hmmm, my outside couch has cushioning... I guess I should find out what that is
April 8, 2014 at 10:35pm   
srgerova
I love the look and feel of these ideas. I too feel it is not that practical unless you have a covered screened in space.

I love my sling chairs, not beautiful but dry very fast and comfortable.

I invested in a set of wicker look seating with "water resistant" cushions for the side deck with a cute thatched umbrella and I do love the look and it is very comfortable to sit and watch the water, but if I don't get the cushions put away before it rains it takes days to dry them out. Very annoying!

I would love to know what you use to make them water proof?
April 9, 2014 at 2:27am     
Carl Brooks
We just take out cushions indoor. It is a little inconvenient but dry and clean cushion make it worth it.
April 9, 2014 at 3:48am     
PRO
Simple Solar Homesteading
My outdoor space is my front porch and rocking chairs but I also have a fire pit, barbecue and adirondack chairs under a tree in the yard for late evening get-to-gethers.

Cushions can be stored in a water proof deck box and put on the chairs as needed.
April 9, 2014 at 3:51am     
Kathleen
You will find me on my screened porch. As for the cushion topic...we have a seating set that we bought in Arizona eight years ago. Have since moved it from Texas and now North Carolina. They have always been left out side. Cushions and fabric going strong. I wish I had a good excuse for changing the fabric as I am ready for a change.
April 9, 2014 at 4:16am   
marywolaver
we have a hanging bed on our screen porch and love it. We cover the mattress with waterproof plastic cover and the bedding stays dry..unless there is a windy thunderstorm.
April 9, 2014 at 4:40am   
mpeplowski
That sure looks like a Soleri bell in that last picture. They have a beautiful sound! Bought one recently and looks very similar to the one in the last picture.
April 9, 2014 at 5:14am     
mpeplowski
Patio wall wood
April 9, 2014 at 5:15am   
pengle
These are just beautiful. I love using my deck and it has truly become an extension of my home living area with an outdoor television enclosure. We eat dinner outside and watch the news every night. Check it out at www.raincase.com
April 9, 2014 at 5:25am   
calkelley
Very lucky to have 2 out door chill areas :)
Can't see the hammock on the dock - it's great. But I love to put the boat in the water and just lie in it and read. Birds singing, silly mullet jumping and the waves rock you to sleep...
April 9, 2014 at 5:42am     
PRO
Rustic Artistry | Carole Rains
I'm lucky enough to have a front porch with rockers, a back deck with cushioned furniture AND a hammock. If it's too hot on the western facing porch in the late afternoon I just go to the deck in the back (where my glass of chilled rose stays cold longer, that's important!)
April 9, 2014 at 5:52am     
margareth1313
As much as I enjoy my screened porch, I must agree with air conditioner man that when it hit triple digits in Memphis, I like my air.
April 9, 2014 at 6:08am     
PRO
d`apostrophe llc
Great article Laura !
At d'apostrophe llc we would recommend Kokoon by Royal Botania. It could fit to all of these places.
April 9, 2014 at 6:24am     
cathymesser
"Sitting outdoors in the fresh air is a great way to loosen up, unwind and let go." Because my husband and I live by this statement, we have outdoor sitting areas on all sides of our home. Shady areas, sunny areas, formal areas, and only rocks for seating in others. (The cedar swing is 'backwards' to face the pasture, our animals and the sunset)
April 9, 2014 at 6:39am     
calkelley
d'apostrophe llc - could you let us know how much that piece costs? I'm not fond of price requests - a little too ADD...
April 9, 2014 at 6:54am     
PRO
d`apostrophe llc
Hi Calkelley - can you send an email to alban@dapostrophe.net? I would be very happy to get back to you with pricing information and lead time. Best, Alban
April 9, 2014 at 7:18am   
PRO
Blinds.com
Just a note about porch shades: Be sure that you choose a shade that is made for the outdoors. Indoor shades used outside can warp, mildew and rust. Plus, outdoor shades are made with stronger cords and hardware that can hold up to high winds.


April 9, 2014 at 8:05am     
JAC Frances
Love, love, love the woven lounge in the first picture with the round pillows at either end!
April 9, 2014 at 8:33am     
dltorrisi
I have a completely covered deck. Outdoor furniture is very expensive so I was wondering if I could buy indoor furniture for out there? If so, recommendations? I'd like to do a sectional.
April 9, 2014 at 8:39am   
Christopher Cui
Rex
April 9, 2014 at 8:45am   
sniddy
I love the wicker lounge in the first picture too. Does anyone know where I can buy that?
April 9, 2014 at 9:30am   
wescarlyon
Tropical Retreat for me!
April 9, 2014 at 9:39am   
victoran
I love all these ideas...perfect for winter in Southern California. But this year, we had no winter and now it is way too hot to put patio furniture out. Wish we had a covered patio for shade. I'm like the "air-conditioning" fellow, only sit outside when the temperature is below 70 and in the shade.
I love the picture of the little table and chairs by the rock walls...delightful shade!!! Wish I had some.
Next house will have a shaded patio. Umbrellas just don't give enough shade and our redwood tree only shades the yard in the morning. Whole house faces south...sunny all the time.
April 9, 2014 at 10:21am     
Doreen Zorek
Just give me my zero gravity chair and I am happy anywhere. They may be ugly but I have never found a more relaxing out door chair ( other than the hammock which is not a chair). Sling fabric so moisture not a problem. Just towel off if it rains. I do have other outdoor furniture but this is my go to chair. And they fold up for storage just to get them out of the way when guests come over.
April 9, 2014 at 10:50am     
Thom Marchionna
A little DIY (on a budget) from Silicon Valley.
April 9, 2014 at 11:32am     
yvonne_pinckney
I am so glad I saved my wrought iron patio set and matching rocking loveseat. I spray paint them every two to three years with Rustoleum High Intensity Heat black paint. They still look good. I live in a Townehouse community where there is no privacy while you sit on your private patio, with the exception of a small fence to each side, leaving the front of the patio exposed to the public. The neighbor's kids used to invade our privacy by walking up on the patio and looking in our patio doors. One year I was told I had too much "junk" on my patio! I read them the riot act, then I purchased wrought iron trellis' (5) with lead crystal inserts, inserted them in the ground against the patio, left an opening with an Arbor and gate. I planted Wisteria in large pots and placed in front of the trellis' Talk about privacy! I treasure it!
April 9, 2014 at 2:20pm     
Thom Marchionna
More from our little corner of the world:
April 9, 2014 at 4:17pm     
Jan Carlson
We have many outdoor chill spaces to use depending on the heat and humidity here in the mid-Atlantic area. In early Spring before the mosquitoes take over, we love the deck and patio areas. When the heat comes, we retreat to the screen porch. A ceiling fan makes it comfortable on even the hottest of days. We have a deck box (very inexpensive from Joss and Main) for the outdoor cushions when it rains.
April 9, 2014 at 6:12pm     
woodsincity
Sunbrella fabrics and cushions are expensive. Anyone know of an affordable alternative? I have bought "outside"cushions at local stores and they are soggy after rain!! Thanks
April 9, 2014 at 6:26pm   
naprovenzale
Great idea for vintage shutters or stained glass
April 9, 2014 at 8:14pm   
heelfan
Living in hot and humid Atlanta, I built a pergola over my patio, planted evergreen wisteria on the posts and installed an outdoor "wet rated" ceiling fan under the pergola. In three years, the wisteria has climbed up and over the pergola to provide shade and looks pretty. This setup, plus an umbrella over my patio table, gives me shade and a breeze to extend the outside season. The surrounding garden and pots are planted in cool shades of blues and whites. Patio furniture is rust-proof metal with outside cushions from Home Depot. I never cover the cushions or bring them inside--and they look like new after 3 years. I've used Sunbrella before, but it molded within one year in this humidity. My patio is definitely my favorite "room". (These are early photos that predate the cushions.)
April 10, 2014 at 2:35am     
PRO
In-Home Decor and More
I created this outdoor room and private garden a few years ago. The pergola is built from cedar. The 5 leaf Acabia vine is the first thing to leaf out in the spring and the last plant to drop it's leaves in autumn.
The vintage furniture I found last year and painted it in California paint ( I like this acrylic paint as it is water base oil and is hard as nails when dry.
i wanted a punch of colour for those dull days so I went when this fabricut outdoor fabric. The pergola is the perfect oasis after a long day at work.
April 10, 2014 at 7:20am     
pkeltner
We bought a vinyl kit pergola and put it over a stone patio at the south end of our pool. We have enough space for a table and seating area. Love it, but do haul our cushions in and out for every use because we have a lot of birds and don't want their mess on the cushions!
April 10, 2014 at 7:54pm     
charlotteleigh
We live in upper east Tennessee, where summers can be brutally hot and humid, but still wet with the frequent afternoon thunder storm. We updated our house a few years ago and put most of the money into covered upper and lower porches that reach from one end of the house to the other across the front. This added a lot of square footage to our house. We can spend time out of doors even in bad weather. We even sit out there in the winter. I don't use cushions on my furniture, instead using wooden rocking chairs, wrought iron and wicker. The furniture is comfortable and all it takes is a quick wipe to get rid of any rain or condensation that does find its way onto our porch. We have a small porch at the back of the house that is not covered. I tried to use some cushioned furniture there, taking the cushions in when the weather turned bad, but it was the squirrels who decided the cushions were theirs. Within a few weeks they had damaged them more than I could keep up with, so I gave up that hopeless battle, lol. We have talked about roofing and screening in the back porch, but it is one of the only places that we get regular afternoon sun, as our lot is tree filled, and I'm able to have a container garden in the summer. I also like to hang ferns from the front porches, but after several years of having birds, and even squirrels, make their nests in them I have given up there also. You haven't lived until a mama squirrel launches herself at your face as you innocently soak her babies while watering the plant. It was like a scene from Christmas vacation!
April 10, 2014 at 10:04pm     
calkelley
pkeltner - please tell me where you got your vinyl pergola kit!!! My husband (great scientist, not so great handyman) could definitely put one of those together. I want one on our dock that I can cover with the clear plastic panels so I can sit there during summer storms.
April 11, 2014 at 1:31am     
deborahhendrickson
Meccqcqqqc qwcccq
We w we
April 11, 2014 at 10:17pm   
luckylyn5
I love that this article showed photos from a range of budget and space perspectives, down to a couple of simple chairs. Some articles on outdoor spaces look like you need a huge budget - these don't.

We have a fairly small backyard that we are planning to re-do in the next few years. I sit outside every morning with my coffee - it's my way to wake up and mentally prepare for the day. Here in So. Calif, I can do it year-round. We have a couple of inexpensive metal chairs that we got a few years ago at Bed Bath and Beyond. I took the cheap cushions to my work (commercial custom sewing manufacturer) to use as templates for new good quality cushions (outdoor foam and Sunbrella). After several years, they still look great. It doesn't rain much here, but if we know rain is expected, we bring the cushions inside. On the occasions when it has rained unexpectedly and they have gotten wet, they dry quickly once the rain has stopped.
April 12, 2014 at 8:13am   
arcticparker
Simple, natural & inexpensive bamboo blinds for privacy
April 12, 2014 at 5:50pm   
YogaJulie
yvonne_pinckney, please post pictures if you have any. I'm considering wisteria, too.
April 13, 2014 at 10:42am   
YogaJulie
Love this book---great ideas and I agree about seeing nice options for different price ranges. Does anyone use an interesting waterproof material on the pergola roof? I've seen corrugated fiberglass and aluminum, but our HOA won't approve those, even if I liked them. I'm looking for do-able and affordable solutions, so bring them on, if you have them. Thanks.
April 13, 2014 at 10:44am   
pkeltner
Calkelley, we ordered our vinyl pergola kit from Vinyl Patio Kits, which has changed it's name and web address to pergolasdirect.com. We worked with Curt Kob, Sales Manager, and he was wonderful in helping us figure out the measurements for our custom pergola. I highly recommend this company.
It is 14' X 18', freestanding, 7 post, Almond colored, in-ground installation. Cost was $4800 three years ago. Additional expenses: you have to buy 2' X 6' X ?(width of pergola) boards to go in the ceiling beams. We paid a handyman to install it. He sunk the posts 3 feet into the ground, and secured them with concrete. Before we installed the pergola, we poured a concrete foundation and walkway, then had it covered with stone. All together, it cost about $10,000.
Measure, measure, measure before ordering! That is key. Installation key is leveling. Evidently, the in-ground installation is much more difficult to get level. Our handyman had a tough time getting all 7 posts (3 in back along fence, 4 in front) to line up straight and be the same height.
Maintenance is nil (we live in Deep South Texas). Wash it with a garden hose. Still looks brand new.
Note: things I would do differently, if I had to do it over again: add electricity and water at installation time. We are currently using a long extension cord to plug in our lights. I wish we had an outdoor shower on one corner of the pergola to rinse off after swimming in the pool.
I wish they made vinyl gazebos. I want one for the other side of my yard!
April 13, 2014 at 12:40pm     
cherylkayk
All
April 14, 2014 at 4:07am   
mmjmurphy
My cushions are sunbrella but my small decorative pillows are bold prints sprayed with Thompson Waterseal (fabric seal) going onto the third summer they stay dry, and keep vivid colours in the West Coast BC rain, humidity , hot sunny. Good fabric and outdoor foam is worth every penny for durability.
April 14, 2014 at 3:51pm   
yogapaws
I love my patio furniture from Home Depot. I watch the birds... and sometimes a big cat.
April 18, 2014 at 6:00am     
YogaJulie
WOW, Yogapaws----that is magnficent---what a great shot! and also a very nice patio...
April 18, 2014 at 9:07am   
lisadoll
Inhomedecorandmore, I adore your vintage patio set, and the colorful cushions, too! SCORE!
They were all the rage when I was a kid. My mom even used her set ( modular love seat, 2 chairs, glass coffee & end tables, and glass dining set) in the family room of one of her houses in 1963. I have no idea when she bought them.. 50's maybe?
Guess what? She still has that set on her covered patio. It's been re painted and new cushions have been professionally made a number of times over the years. I really like how they used to make em with that lip that the big chunky cushions fit into. Wrought iron just can't be beat for longevity . I have tried to talk her out of it a number of times, but she just gives me the " you'll have to wait til I die " line:(
My " auntie " ( mom's neighbor) still has her set too.
Those sets are STILL the MOST COMFORTABLE, aren't they?
April 21, 2014 at 3:28am     
nlafrance
The idea of a steel structure to hold the drapes around our deck could be done using the concept in this picture.
April 21, 2014 at 12:48pm   
PRO
Discount Custom Blinds and Shutters
Aluminum shutters are perfect for creating a beautiful, more secure and virtually maintenance free outdoor living space. With Weatherwell Elite, you have the option of a wood grain look and custom colors, your sure to find a color to suit your needs. And with the ability to lock your louvers in your desired position, you no longer have to worry about constantly readjusting the louver position because of wind. And one of the most important features is the added security. The Weatherwell Elite offers an internal locking mechanism that is secured/unsecured with a key. Now you can feel confident that your outdoor investments are secure.
on Sunday at 4:43pm   
Sign Up to comment
Ideabook updated on .
 
What are you working on?
How did you know you were ready to buy a house?
There are financial considerations, but also logistical...
Summer crops
As the weather gets warmer and warmer, we want to know...
People found the photos in this ideabook after searching for:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment