Saturday, September 26, 2009

Power Surges? Got squirrels?

We have lived in our San Carlos home for over 15 years. Recently we noticed that our lights appeared dimmer (I thought it was my eyes at first) and the power would surge causing a noticable dimming and then brightening all evening long. This continued for over a week. I was nervous as I thought for sure it meant our 70+ year old home needed re-wiring. I could just imagine how much that would cost us and with 3 of our 6 kids in college this year plus the recession, shuddered at the the thought of paying for it. I couldn't take it anymore, and I decided to call PG&E. If the problem was the power coming into the house, it would be their responsibility. They came out the same day I called. (I was very impressed.) They asked me if I knew whether or not the neighbors were experiencing similar problems. I was not, but told them I would check. While he was setting up I visited my neighbors. All were experiencing similar problems: one has lost a PC and a microwave due to the severity of the surges; another had called an electrician and spent a lot of money. I came back and shared my findings with the representative. He kept at his work for awhile longer - checking the connection at our house, along with a coupe of the electrical poles on our block. In the end, it turns out our problem was caused by squirrels!! Yes, squirrels! Apparently they chew through the wires. So, be warned, our lovely San Carlos critters can affect our power. If you notice unusual power surges, check with your neighbors and if they are having similar issues, contact PG&E!

No comments:

Post a Comment